Monday 24 October 2011

Special Dinner

Special Dinner

OK, my second blog. I have lots of topics that I wish to cover. I will spread them out over time.
Now for tonight, my partner and I were agonizing over what to make for dinner. It was getting late and we wanted to make something quick. Preparing a meal for six people is never an easy thing to do. We were out of this, and that would take too long. We both felt a little tired, so something quick was the answer, except what? In the 11th hour, we decided, hey hot-dogs with fries. Sounded simple enough.
No buns and no fries. OK, not so simple. But the idea sounded good, simple, quick clean-up, perfect.
Besides we hadn't made dogs in awhile. We drew straws as to who was going to the store to get the missing items. And whose vehicle had enough gas to make it there and back. Split decision, I would go and take partner's vehicle. Off I went. I only needed to pick up two things, so it should be quick. Got there, picked up the two items and headed straight for the 12 and under express line. Ah, great, the first one had no line-up. I went down between the round silvery metal tubes that guided those people who would obviously get lost in line. Part way down, the cashier clerk, who was finishing up with a customer, raised her hand, saying, sorry, this line is closed. My hopes for a fast exit were dashed. I backed up to the beginning of the metal tubes to take the next one. Alas, it was closed. Went to the next one, closed as well. How was this grocery store supposed to make money with check-out lines closed. The last check-out line was open but I would have to line up behind a couple of people. Oh well, no choice. Can't go back to the regular check-outs and possibly wait even longer. Waited my turn. Everything slowed down a bit. Somehow the two customers in front of me made it through quickly. Great, I thought, I will get out of here before I require a shave. Then, pandemonium, the two customers were having difficulty bagging the few items purchased. One needed a bag, did not have one, and did not want to buy one. The other customer stopped packing up her goods and stood there not knowing what to do. First customer, through a miracle, found a bag, packed up, and left, allowing the cashier to ring through my two items. Success, at last, as I packed up my two things in a bag that I had. Down the road I drove and not speeding either. Home at last. Partner had the oven ready for the fries that were put in straight away. All was happy to have a dog or two with fries. Quick dinner moved from being a dream to a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment