Wednesday 7 March 2012

Publishing Woes




My armchair reflections on ebook publishing!

There is much debate on the publishing of an authors work, publishing house verses self-publishing. Those from the traditional publishing world do not like the idea of authors self-publishing and those on the other side don’t like the nearly impossible task of getting traditional publishers attention. We have read the stories of authors who could plaster an entire wall with rejection letters. Is there some right of passage from the traditional publishing side that if you can survive the rejection process long enough and eventually get noticed, then you have proven yourself? I don’t count those authors who ooze natural talent that they strike it off right away. If you are exceptional, then you will shine.
I get it that the traditional side needs to protect its business interests and only select those who they feel can generate a profit. Then money is the only driving factor behind selections. If that is the case, then the publishing houses should have no issue with those self-publishing.
Technology has given writers options to choose from. The complaint I often hear is the self-published work is not of the same calibre as what a publishing house can produce. That is a valid point and I believe self-published authors can do more to ensure their work is the best it can be. I also believe that it should not be the only deciding factor against authors who self-publishing. The problem as I see it for the new author, is the sending a manuscript to a publisher has the same chance of making it through the process as purchasing the winning lottery ticket.
Now being able to self-publish in itself doesn’t guarantee success. I just think that at least you can reach the next level and have a better chance. It is easy to get a publishing deal with a traditional publishing house if you have already sold a million copies on your own. My final thought, I believe both can survive and should.

I am curious as to what your thoughts on this matter are.

No comments:

Post a Comment