Wednesday 29 February 2012

The Daily Word Count


What is the daily word count dilemma? What is the motivation? I have read a fair amount on this topic and I get a mixture of insights. Therefore, let me clarify my interpretation on this subject. I get the idea, that as a writer, you need to discipline yourself to write on a regular basis. Now that might sound like a no-brainer, to write, you actually need to write. I suspect the writers that are already making a sufficient income from their works, have discovered how to discipline themselves enough in order to get projects done. What about the rest of us? I know that after working all day long, or whatever shift you’re on, that when you get home, you might not feel like writing. That of course can be a challenge getting your writing undertaking completed. Now the count range I have read has been from 200 to 1000 words per day. When I first began writing, it took a little while to reach the 500 words per day. To go beyond that, it took discipline to keep writing. Let me pause here. At this point in my writing career, I didn’t know if I could be successful at writing, and more importantly, whether I would like it as a vocation. My bucket list goal was to complete one novel and to get it done as soon as I possibly could. I set my novel length at between 80,000 to 100,000 words. With that, I had a formula to calculate the time it would take. I looked at 250 words per day, which roughly worked out to between 45 and 60 weeks. If I upped it to 500 words, then I was looking at 23 to 29 weeks. Okay, the next level for me, a thousand words, 11 to 14 weeks. That timing for me at that point was not bad. But 2000 words per day and 5 to 8 weeks sounded even better. My personal time limit was two months for first draft. I had the numbers it would take to accomplish my goal. Now all I had to do is do the work. Now getting up to 2000 words a day was challenging. Some days fell short and other days went over the 2000 word tally, after a time. During the word count pursuit, I found that I could break the 5000 word per day count. It was during one of those writing days that words flowed like a river. I would like to say that everyday was like that. No, it was not. What I did discover is the previously thought barriers were removed. I have once thus far broken the 10,000 words per day barrier. For the two-part Zytainium second book in the story, I average between 2000 to 6000 words per day, with time off to catch up on other parts of life. For you writers that have the extra time to complete your masterpiece, choose a word count rhythm that works for you. Just don’t be afraid to occasionally break a word count barrier that you haven’t done before.

No comments:

Post a Comment