Monday 27 February 2012

Ideas Behind Alice



When I wrote my novel Alice, I wanted to do something different, at least for me. First, I wanted to write a paranormal fantasy. Secondly, the main character was female and the story prospective was from Alice. Now I know there are a lot of novels called Alice or have the name in it. I contemplated changing the name to another, but Alice just seemed to fit. It was the right name for me for my character. I thought writing a fantasy in current times would be easier than science fiction. With science fiction, I had to account for names and concepts that I really had to think about in order to describe it properly to the reader. Other simple things like the use of time, i.e., seconds, minutes, hours, days, etc, would necessarily be the same as earth. I didn’t want to describe the orbital rotation period of a planet because it added nothing to the story. So, with a fantasy based on earth in today’s time, those challenges went away. As I developed the story, it became apparent that describing things in a paranormal environment had challenges in itself. The use of powers not normally seen and keeping them consistent was something that I had to keep in mind. I found while writing the novel, which I had to go back and change concepts that were not working for where the story was going. The other challenge was telling the story from a female, which worked well in the story I was relating, although I had to stop and ensure that I did not change the gender voice. Now I did enjoy, taking myself outside of the box, to write this story. Attempting to write from a female prospective is a challenge onto itself. It forces me to consider points of view that I normally don’t do. I have in mind, how the story will continue, and look forward to reviving those characters again to see where there lives go.
Keep going.

1 comment:

  1. No mention that you might have had a little help with the 'voice'? I thought I did a good job helping you edit this story. Even the best writers give credit when it's due, just look at the dedication page of any novel.

    ReplyDelete